Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2014

1 week

I am one week "clean" again. Yay!

So in last nights scripture study, I was in 1 Nephi 7, reading about Nephi and Ishmael's family.  Lehi was told by the Lord to send Nephi, Sam, Laman, and Lemuel back to Jerusalem to speak to Ishmael and his family.  While they were all traveling back to the wilderness; Laman, Lemuel, two of the daughters of Ishmael, two of the sons of Ishmael and their families began to rebel.  It is after that that Nephi begins asking them about their testimonies and the things they've experienced:
"How is it that ye are so hard in your hearts, and so blind in your minds?" (vs 8)
"How is it that ye have not hearkened unto the word of the Lord?" (vs 9)
"How is it that ye have forgotten that ye have seen an angel of the Lord?" (vs 10)
"How is it that ye have forgotten what great things the Lord hath done for us?" (vs 11)

I feel like these questions are relevant to me as well, to everyone.  How is it I forget to hearken unto the word of the Lord?  How is it I have forgotten the great things the Lord has done for me?  In my darkest moments, I forget those things.  When I am in a storm of temptation, I forget to pick up my scriptures and instead give in to the temptation.  Instead of holding onto the good things in my life and the things the Lord has blessed me with, I am holding onto my addiction.

After Nephi asks his brothers those things, there's one more thing he asks... (vs 12)  "Yea, and how is it that ye have forgotten that the Lord is able to do all things according to his will, for the children of men, if it so be that they exercise faith in him?  Wherefore, let us be faithful to him."  If it so be that they exercise faith in him.  He then exhorts us; Wherefore, let us be faithful to him.  Let us be faithful, and the Lord is able to all things according to his will.  How often do we forget this?  How often do I forget this?

There's one more thing that happens in their journey back to the wilderness that kind of struck me.  After Nephi said all those things, his brothers got angry and tied him up and wanted to take his life.  Nephi prayed to the Lord to be delivered and the cords were loosed.  He then tried to speak to his brothers again; they tried to take his life again, but they were stopped this time.  One of the daughters of Ishmael, her mother, and one of the sons of Ishmael begged with his brethen, and their hearts were softened, they ceased to try to hurt Nephi and they became sorrowful of their wickedness and began to seek forgiveness.  The first thing that struck me, was what in the world did they possibly say that managed to soften their hearts?  But more than that, what great amount of courage it took for them to stand up to Nephi's brothers?  It amazes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment