Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

5K

I have been severely overweight for most of my life, and there are a lot of things behind it, but that's not the point of this post.  About a year I really started to strive to start working out again, and I began walking regularly every day.  Eventually, with a good friend of mine who's a runner and has been very supportive and encouraging of me, and I committed to do a 5K, and that 5K is coming up this weekend.  Between winter and a lot of other struggles, I'm not nearly as prepared for it as I should be.  I'm anxious about how awful it's going to be, how slow I'm going to be, and how embarrassed I'm going to be and I just keep thinking about how I'm going to fail.

But...

As long as I finish, no matter what the time, I will not fail.  I will have finished!  And you know, it makes me think of this journey of recovery that I'm starting.  Looking down the road, it seems long, hard, and awful.  It feels impossible because I don't feel prepared for it and I feel like I'm going to fail because the progress is going to be slow.  But you know what, one step in front of the other, and as long as I keep working...I will not fail!  Seeing this connection kind of makes me excited for the 5K, to jump start more determination of getting back to a workout schedule and to jump start my recovery.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! It's all about progress :) Satan wants us to think we need to be perfect--that you need to run that 5k in record time. But all you need to do is get on the right path, and once you're there, it doesn't matter how slow you are, just that you move forward. Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete