Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Commit!

I have a very close friend who knows everything about me and my struggles, and one of the things he likes to say all the time, is "Commit!"  He asks me to make promises and commitments all the time. This is helpful for several reasons, first of all, being accountable only to myself, and only making myself promises, doesn't do much for me.  I don't keep promises made to myself very often because I figure, "Who cares?", I need someone to be accountable to.  In addition, it helps me to make the promises and commitments I need to make to my Heavenly Father.  I struggle with that aspect of it, and I'm not quite sure why yet, it's something to explore.

Anyways, there's a reason why I've brought up the idea of commitment.  There have been a couple times where I begin to feel like giving in is inevitable; that it is going to happen no matter what, so why bother fighting it?  Why not just give in and 'get it over with'?  I hated feeling that way because logically I knew it wasn't inevitable, I didn't HAVE to give in...so why did it feel like it was impossible to avoid?  It was because I had already made the decision!  I felt like I had no choice in fighting it, because I already made the choice to give in.  When I brought up this concept to my friend, he said something along the lines of "then don't decide, COMMIT! Commit that you won't hurt yourself."  He's right, I need to stop making the decision beforehand; stop feeling like giving in isn't inevitable.  It's not!

COMMIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment