Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Alone in the Church?

I've been doing several posts over the past day or two, I'm just excited about this blog up and going and I want to reach out to people and there's a lot of things on my mind and what I want to say.

I appreciate that depression is being talked about in the church a little more often and is slowly becoming a little bit more understood.  I left the church once towards the end of high school for about 5 years or so; and it was because of my depression.  I was struggling a lot and no matter what I was doing, it didn't feel like anything was changing.  In addition to this, so many people in the church around me were making comments like "Well, if you were more worthy of the Spirit you wouldn't feel like that" and "You must have done something to cause it".  Clearly, they didn't know or understand anything depression, but I was in a vulnerable state and I began to believe those things and I got so frustrated that I left church.  Thankfully, I was able to finally find my way back and to be honest, I wouldn't trade the experience because it taught me a lot.  But there are still a lot of people who make those comments and a lot things that aren't understood; that depression is not about will power or happy thoughts etc etc.

But something else that is hard for me, is my struggle with self-harm.  That is NEVER talked about, I don't know or have heard about a single other church member who has struggled with something like this.  It's so hard not to feel completely alone in the church with struggle.  I mean, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, I don't want anyone to know what this is like...but...I don't know.  I've known people outside of the church who have struggled with it, but it's not completely the same.  And other friends I have in the church can understand to a point because of their own struggles that have a few similar parallels.  I know I'm not alone, if no one else, I know the Lord knows what I'm dealing with, and I'm so grateful for the sacrifice He made for me...but there's also something different about knowing someone who knows what you're going through too.

This is why I wanted to start this blog.  To reach out to people who are struggling in general, who struggle with addictions in general, struggle with depression, and struggle with hurting themselves, especially church members but also non-members.  I pray that this can help someone in some way shape or form.  Please, if you ever want to reach out to me for any reason, don't hesitate to email me-  iwillovercomethistrial@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment